banner


Mailing Address:

MSC10 5530
1 University of New Mexico
Albuquerque, NM 87131-0001

Physical Address:
UNM Hospital

Ms. Hollie Medina, BA, C-TAGME
Medical Education Program Specialist
Phone: 505-272-0932
Fax: 505-272-5821

Interventional Radiology Student Clerkship

Interventional Radiology
Course #: CLNS 950M
Credit: Elective: Clinical
Duration: 4 weeks
NOT AVAILABLE: Winter Break
Students per Rotation: 1 student per rotation
Contact: Hollie Medina, 505-272-0932,
Faculty Evaluator(s): Christopher Gutjahr, MD
Prerequisite(s): available only to 4th year medical students. Currently not available for visiting students.

Goals and Unique Aspects
Interventional Radiology is a unique branch of radiology dedicated to image guided diagnostic and therapeutic procedures.  The University of New Mexico IR division performs a full array of IR procedures, from the routine (eg, biopsies, vascular access) to the complex (eg, interventional oncology, portal hypertension management). 

Clerkship students will be expected to participate in the procedures, as well as the periprocedural evaluation and management of patients.   Students will be expected to be present in the department during normal weekday hours (approximately 6:45a-5:00p).  As this is a clinical rotation, students are also expected to participate in IR call: 1 weeknight per week and 1 weekend.  At the conclusion of the rotation, the student will deliver a formal case presentation.

Objectives

Exposure to the broad scope of IR procedures and their place in the care of both inpatients and outpatients.

Exposure to the periprocedural evaluation and management of IR patients, including indications/contraindications for procedures, interaction with oftentimes anxious patients and families, procedural sedation, and management of complications.

Exposure to basic radiation safety practices.

Responsibilities
The student will be supervised primarily by Interventional Radiology faculty, consisting entirely of fellowship trained interventional radiologists.  The IR fellow and rotating radiology residents will also participate.

Supervision and Teaching
Amount and Type: Daily supervision by faculty radiologists.

Evaluation
The student will be evaluated at the completion of the rotation by Dr. Christopher Gutjahr, based on personal exposure and survey of the IR faculty and fellow.  Grade will be based primarily on clinical performance (80%), with the remainder based on the case presentation (20%).  Criteria for an outstanding grade:  active participation in both patient procedures and periprocedural management, demonstration of knowledge about patients undergoing procedures, evidence of familiarity with procedural basics, and a well prepared case presentation.

Additional Information
This rotation is not offered during the December block (block 9).